Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Inspiration

So, inspired by a fellow blogger, I have been searching my brain as to what I may be interested in blogging about. Falling short, and un-inspired I kind of gave up on the idea. Until tonight...I made a very easy, yet very successful dinner from Cooking Light. Not only was my husband thrilled with it, but I was quite impressed with myself. Best thing was, it was super easy, relatively quick, and possible to keep the kitchen clean as I cooked! Thus came the idea to share my successes.

I am thinking this blog will encompass recipes that I like (with reasons why), party ideas, cool new products, and a place to bounce questions and ideas off each other.

So here is what dinner consisted of tonight...courtesy of Cooking Light.

Flank Steak with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Egg Noodles
Egg Noodles
1 lb. flank steak
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 - 4 oz. package mushrooms (I purchased the already sliced kind)
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme (fresh or ground)
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1. Preheat broiler, and set a pot of water on the stove to boil noodles (add egg noodles once water is boiling).
2. Sprinkle steak evenly with salt & pepper. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil for 6-10 minutes on each side, to your desired degree on doneness.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add green onions to pan, and cook 3 minutes. Add cleaned mushrooms to pan, cover, and cook for at least 4 minutes (until you can almost break them with a wooden spoon).
4. Stir in water, mustard, worcestershire, and thyme. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
6. Slice flank steak diagonally into thin slices. Place atop bed of noodles and cover with sauce.

The only thing I would change from the recipe is to double the amount of fluid that goes into the sauce. Keep the green onions and mushroom amount the same, but double the water, worcestershire, mustard, thyme, and sour cream. This would allow the noodles to be completely saturated.

Recipe from the March 2007 Cooking Light.

No comments: