Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Muffinman!!!

Yes, its the love of my lifes birthday....but I was under the impression he would not be home tonight, so I was ill prepared!! For one, I planned tonight as the crock pot dinner he would not eat....ooops. For 2, I was planning on making his cake tomorrow! So, I was in high speed when I came home!

While this was excellent to get things done, it resulted spilling a full glass of water on the floor, bonking my head on a cabinet while taking out the trash, dripping salsa on my computer (the hazards of using a computer for my recipes), and my smoke alarm going off for a good 10 minutes. After cleaning up my messes and consoling myself and muffindog (i was saying "my poor head" while he was in the far corner of the yard trying to get away from the smoke detector), I literally had about 30 minutes to finish up.

Alls well in the muffin household now. Muffinman is home. Muffindog in sleeping. And this muffinwoman is having a glass of wine before pie! I'd say the husband summed up the meal best... "The peppers are good. Num Num. The bread is like the ultimate bread ever. Num, Num, Num. Can I have some more bread?"

Tonights crockpot meal is truly a no-fuss option! A lot of crockpot meals require a significant amount of prep time (still worth a cooked meal when you come home, but it takes up time in the morning). This one took me about 10 minutes last night, and maybe 5 this morning. (only because I dumped one of the peppers over when filling it with sauce and had to re-assemble!!) Even if you aren’t a fan of bell peppers, you can eat the filling and steer clear of the pepper!

Once I realized I needed to make muffinmans birthday “cake” tonight, I repeated the carrot and parsnip side dish for dinner as well….and of course, I had to bake some bread!! This time, I added a little butter and rosemary to the top of my loaf!

I halved the recipe below, making enough filling for 3 peppers, but only filled 2. Stored the rest of the filling in the fridge and plan on making a pepper for lunch sometime in the next few days.

Crockpot Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients
6 tall green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef, extra lean
1 cup rice, uncooked (I used brown)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, shredded
1 tsp beef bouillon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can water
Directions
1. Cut the top off of the peppers, and remove the inner seeds. Rinse inside and out
2. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, rice, onion, carrot, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
3. Fill each pepper with the beef mixture about 2/3 way full (rice will expand)
* you can stop here, wrap the peppers in saran wrap, and refrigerate over night
4. Place the peppers in your crockpot.
5. Mix the soup and water with a whisk
6. Pour the soup mixture over the peppers.
7. Cook on low for 8 hours

Snickers Pie
Ingredients
14 oz semisweet baking chocolate
4 tbs butter
1 (9inch) baked pastry shell
25 caramels
1 cup, 1/3 cup, and 5 tsp heavy cream
1 ½ cup salted peanuts
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 snickers bar, cut into small pieces.
Directions
1. In a sauce pan, melt the chocolate and 3 tbs of butter
2. Using ¼ cup of the chocolate, spread all over the sides and bottom of the crust.
3. Place crust in the refrigerator to harden, set the remaining chocolate aside
4. In a separate sauce pan, melt 20 caramels, and 1/3 cup cream, stirring frequently
5. Remove from heat and stir in the peanuts
6. Spread the peanut layer over the chocolate layer and return to the fridge.
7. Beat 1 cup of the cream with the vanilla until soft peaks form
8. Fold 1/3 of the cream into the reserved chocolate (be sure its cooled down before adding the cream)
9. Fold the remaining whipped cream into the chocolate mixture
10. Spread the chocolate cream into the pie crust.
11. Refrigerate until set
12. In the same saucepan you used for the caramels, melt 5 caramels, 5 tsp heavy cream, and 1 tbs butter.
13. Sprinkle the chopped snickers over the pie, then drizzle with the caramel sauce.
14. Keep covered and refrigerated until served.