Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ole!

Look at me, 2 posts in one day!!! While I continue to bask in my success, I have a favor to ask of all you reading (ok, maybe it really is just the 4 followers, but I'm hoping theres others!) I'm wanting to really try to make this blog take off, so if you would, PLEASE add yourself as a follower so I can judge how many people actually read! I have a goal of 50 by the end of April, we will re-evaluate then and hopefully up the goal! In addition, please feel free to pass this blog along to anyone who you may think have an interest!

Made a great casserole with the leftover shredded pork from the carnitas last week. It's super easy (especially if you already have the meat cooked and shredded!). If so, just skip to step 5 and when it calls for cooking liquid, add the 1 cup of chicken broth.


In addition, I used a smidge of olive oil instead of cooking spray in the pan (I keep forgetting to print my list off smart shopper when I go to the store!). While we are on the subject....the smart shopper is another great gift I received this year. While it might seem hokey, its a cooks best friend...really! I no longer have to remember in my head when I use the last of something while cooking. I can just step to the fridge, hit record, and speak what I need (note: be sure you don't have a husband yelling random items in the background, it hasn't perfected distractions yet).

Mexican Chicken Casserole (adapted from Cooking Light)
Ingredients
1 cup ff, less sodium chicken broth
2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chiles (I omitted these)
1 3/4 lbs skinned boned chicken breasts
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (I used mexican blend)
1/4 cup (2 oz) light cream cheese
1 10oz can enchilada sauce
12 (6 inche tortillas)
Cooking spray
1/2 cup shredded reduced fast extra sharp cheddar cheese (used mexican blend)
1 oz tortilla chips
Directions
1. Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil.
2. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once.
3. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken.
4. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350°.
6. In a large skillet, add 1 can chiles, onion, and garlic
7.Sauté 3 minutes or until soft.
8. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well.
9. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
10. Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
11. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas.
12. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture.
13. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips.
14. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
15. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*As I mentioned, I had about a cup and a half of shredded pork leftover, so I halved this recipe. It made 6 servings, which is perfect to leftovers for lunch!

No comments: