Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

A little crockpot comfort . . .

I sped home today because I didn't have all the ingredients I needed to make my "Rio Grande" Meatloaf. After a quick stop at the store, I was well prepared and ready to quickly get it in the crockpot to cook for a couple of hours on high. It's now smelling awesome, and I tried a new trick that I got the idea from a fellow blogger @ crockpot365.blogspot.com. She layers meat and veggies seperated by foil for a full dinner in the crockpot!!!

I haven't tried it before, so I thought this would be a great night! First I assembled all the ingredients for the meatloaf and pressed it into the bottom of my greased crockpot. Then, i put a layer of foil. Next I took some baby red potatoes, olive oil, and 5 whole garlic cloves and wrapped them in a foil packet, placed it on top of the meatloaf. After those cooked on high for 2.5 hours, I added a foil packet of fresh green beans (mixed with olive oil, garlic salt, and crushed almonds) for 1 hour on low.

All in all it turned out well!! Served the meatloaf with some salsa and sour cream (turned out a little dry), mashed the potatoes and garlic with a couple laughing cow cheese wedges and a splash of unsweetened almond milk, and served the green beans as they were (foil packet steamed them).

Rio Grande Meatloaf

½ 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
pinch of salt
2 tsp cumin
pinch of pepper
2 handfuls tortilla chips, crushed fine
2 large egg whites
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs lean ground beef
Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well (using your hands if needed)
2. Grease your crockpot
3. Using one long strp of foil, cut it in half lengthwise, and fold each strip into a 1-2 inch wide long strip
4. Cross the strips in the bottom of the crockpot and let hang off the sides (will use as handles to remove the meatloaf)
5. Shape the meatloaf in your crockpot and cover
6. Cook on high 2.5 hours, low 1 hour (could probably do 4-5 hours on low)
7. Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.

*Just a note, you don't have to measure out all the veggies, about a small handful of the onion, green pepper, and cilantro will work. Also, the original recipe called for a full can of black beans, but I thought it was too much (the meatloaf tasted more like black beans.)

No comments: